November 12, 2011

Shop Local in Edmonton for Weddings or Christmas


Christmas season is upon us! Shops have adorned their windows with a variety of holiday baubles and bling.  I decided to take a walk around my area (which is amazing and I love) in Edmonton: Old Strathcona.  One of the reasons I love this area so much is there is literally something for everyone.  No matter what shop you enter, you’re sure to find something perfect and you’re supporting the local economy.

My Edmonton “staycation” started out at the Designer Sale at The Red Pony Consignment store.  Designers sold their wares in a super fun back shop (made me feel as though I was part of a secret fashionista club)  All of the designers were incredibly nice, knowledgable and fun.  Not even going to lie and say I didn’t buy anything . . .could’ve easily dropped a paycheck. . .. 

This gorgeous silk dress designed by Jessica Halabi (If you buy this then I get to borrow it for an indefinite period of time):







Brides:  are you looking for ultra gorgeous and unique bridesmaids dresses?  Definitely contact Jessica. 

Here’s another one of my fav’s from her:


Parasol and Cruze were also in attendance, and I nabbed myself a comfortable and gorgeous tank and bolero (I may or may not have the terminology correct, so designers, correct me)
Great hey?
 












To go with my new threads, I purchased this handmade metal feather headband:



All of the accessories were handmade, eco chic and fun!  Check out this stunner agate necklace from BangBang Bijoux. All of her accessories are repurposed and each piece has an amazing story behind it.  **Brides! This is perfect for Something Old AND Something New**








 Fun, yes?  








 Here is the contact info for all the designers:



Moving on down the road, I stopped in at Ten Thousand Villages.  If you are a Christmas decorating nut then you’re going to be over the moon.  I love Ten Thousand Villages for three reasons: 1. Its free trade, you’re helping support an actual person somewhere; 2. Its very unique and fun; 3. ECO!  There were literally hundreds of different decorations to choose from.  As I moved away from the sparkly glittery trinkets and bows, I was stopped dead in my tracks for this:



Yes.  Coffee.  Don’t judge me.  The coffee is smooth, mild and perfect for a winter day.

Finally I travelled on to the Old Strathcona Farmers Market.  GO HERE.  I demand you too.  Tons of fresh food from LOCAL vendors.
And then there was this:



Although an old man decided it was his place to remind me that its fattening.  So, I scarfed this puppy down with reckless abandon.  I'd kill of a cinnamon tower wedding cake dripping in cheesecake icing.

Thank you, Old Strathcona and Whyte Ave for being amazing.  I’m truly blessed to live in probably the most kick-ass place in Edmonton.  

Final note, if you noticed from the above, everything I bought was eco –friendly and with the exception of my coffee, local.  I really encourage everyone to shop local for as much as possible.  You’re helping someone succeed in doing something they love and supporting our local economy.  I challenge all of you to shop local vendors first before going to big box and name brand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment